Tuesday, January 3, 2012

J.R.R Tolkien


J.R.R. Tolkien was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa on the 3rd January 1892. Today we celebrate the 120th anniversary of J.R.R Tolkien’s birth. Why is this special to me? Well, "The Hobbit" was the first fantasy novel I ever read and I was hooked for life.

It was late in 1984 when I read The Hobbit for the first time and it was shortly thereafter that I received my first Dungeons & Dragons box set for Christmas.

Needless to say, that the Christmas holidays were over in no time! But that wasn’t the case with my new found hobby and my love of reading fantasy novels.


Many of my games in the years to come were heavily inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien and many other authors, but it was J.R.R. Tolkien that captivated me with his attention to detail and how his story evolved into this wondrous tale of epic scale.

In celebration of this anniversary I raise my glass, the toast is to “The Professor”

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we lost a great "pioneer" when Tolkien passed.

    Myself, I've always preferred his Silmarillion best. The man created an entire universe, not just a world.

    And linguist the world over acknowledge that his elvish language is a viable, "legitimate" language and not some fanciful creation.

    Who could top that?

    He is missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well deserved toast indeed. None can deny Tolkien is god of the fantasy genre.

    Later

    Argon

    ReplyDelete